Yummy Lactation Cookies
Breastfeeding can be hard, with one of the most common challenges being low milk production.
Many moms swear by lactation cookies as a simple and delicious way to help boost their milk supply and while there are several store bought options available, the recipe below is healthy and effective and can be whipped up at home in no time.
The magic behind these cookies can be found in the combination of oats, wheat germ, flax seed and brewer's yeast, which are galactagogues or substances that promote lactation.
- Oats are a great source of fiber, protein, essential complex carbohydrate and iron as well which proves beneficial since low levels of iron have been shown to reduce lactation.
- Flax seeds contain good fats such as omega-3 and omega-6, and enzymes, also helpful in increasing milk production.
- Wheat germ contains high levels of zinc, which supports the immune system and helps to heal dry or cracked skin which is common in breastfeeding mothers.
- Brewer's yeast is high in iron, B vitamins, protein and a variety of other essential nutrients.
- The addition of grass-fed butter increases the fat content of the breast milk, providing baby with vital brain nutrients such as DHA.
2 cups organic rolled oats
1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
1 tbsp. wheat germ
2 tbsp. flaxseed meal
1/4 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
1/4 cup brewer's yeast
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4 cup grass fed butter, melted
2 tablespoons raw honey
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven at 350F degrees.
- Put your 2 cups of rolled oats into a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until the oats are a flour-like consistency.
- Put dry ingredients into large bowl and mix.
- In a smaller bowl, put almond butter, melted butter, honey, eggs, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Pour the contents of smaller bowl into the dry ingredient bowl. Mix well with spoon.
- Grease a cookie sheet with coconut oil. Form small flat balls.
- Bake cookies in oven for 14-16 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy warm, or let cookies cool to room temperature.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.