Rituals You Can Share with Your Family to Celebrate Mother’s Day
As the founder of Matrescence, Raquel Nowak understands the importance of community and support during the transformative journey of becoming a mother. She emphasizes that “no woman is an island. You CANNOT do it alone. Believe me I've tried and it left me exhausted, frustrated and back at square one."
As Raquel highlights the importance of surrounding yourself with a village, she also drives home how we can honor rituals passed down from our mothers and grandmothers to create that community within our own home. When she speaks about her own mother, Raquel remembers “to this day, baked goodies taste like love to me because they remind me of those special moments my mom and I spent together in the kitchen,” she goes on to share how even the love of a grandmother she never got to meet was passed down to her through her own mother.
Rituals passed down through the generations can be a wonderful way to honor matrescence - the process of becoming a mother.
Don’t have any rituals, but looking to start some for your family? We’ve put together a few of our best ideas for you:
- Breakfast in bed: Surprise mom with breakfast in bed on Mother's Day. This is a classic ritual that never gets old.
- Writing a letter to your mother: Write a heartfelt letter expressing your love and gratitude to your mother. This can be a very meaningful way to celebrate Mother's Day. Bonus: if you do this yearly, you’ll both have a book of memories to share over the years!
- Family photo session: Get the whole family together for a holiday photo session. These photos will be cherished for years to come.
- Planting flowers: Plant flowers in honor of your mother. This can be a beautiful way to celebrate her on Mother's Day, especially for moms who are no longer with us.
- Creating a memory box: Put together a memory box filled with photos, mementos, and other items that remind you of your mother. This can be a wonderful gift that she will treasure.
- Mother's Day picnic: Plan a Mother's Day picnic in the park or backyard - and don’t make mom do the planning! This is a fun way to celebrate with the whole family.
- Spa day: Treat your mother to a spa day or give her a DIY spa treatment at home. This is a great way to help her relax and feel pampered on Mother's Day. The Rose Glow Trio is a great option for a mama spa session!
Embracing and celebrating traditions allows us to connect with our roots and cherish the motherhood legacy passed down to us. It also inspires us to keep those rituals alive with our own kids, passing along that flame of love.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.