New Mama Recipe: Detox Turmeric Soup
It's such a buzzword! It can be used to mean a few things. We've heard of a "digital detox" where we take away our own devices so that we may connect more with the here and now right in front of us and be in the moment.
Then of course there is the type of detox that is good for your body, your skin and your overall health.
Detox• noun |'dētäks|
a process or period of time in which one abstains from or rids the body of toxic or unhealthy substances.
Detoxing your diet, even for a day can make a big difference in the way your body functions.
Some benefits can include:
- support immune health
- improve skin texture and glow
- improve the function of the liver
- support weight loss
- improve energy levels
- reduce the risk of chronic diseases
Here is recipe for a vibrant detoxifying soup that It is both delicious and effective and perfect for those early spring evenings when there is still a chill in the air.
This recipe is by Sylvia over @feastingathome and is completely customizable. It can be made vegan or gluten free by just swapping out a few ingredients.
It incorporates Turmeric which is a healing root that is full of powerful antioxidants and fights off inflammation.
Here is what you will need:
FLAVORFUL TURMERIC BROTH
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil ( or ghee)
- 1 onion- diced
- 1 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated or finely minced
- 4–5 garlic cloves- grated or finely minced
- 1–2 teaspoons turmeric powder (or 2–3teaspoons fresh turmeric, finely grated – or a little of both, see notes)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ¾ – 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups veggie or chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- Squeeze of lime juice or lemon juice ( to taste) or 1-2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar ( to taste)
Saute onion, ginger and garlic and the turmeric — either freshly grated turmeric or ground turmeric ( I use both!) Add the rest of the spices, salt, stock, water and a bit of lemon or lime. At this point you will have a delicious tasting broth- a great base for your own creations.
Add pre-soaked (or canned) beans or lentils. Or use another form of protein like cooked chicken, turkey, or meatballs. Then choose a starch: noodles, rice, quinoa, or orzo. Then pick an herb or a green. I find that parsley, cilantro, mint and dill all work well with turmeric, but try something new if you want.
For extra anti-oxidants and nutrients, add a couple handfuls of chopped spinach, arugula or kale or other veggies like cauliflower!
So, whether your doing a digital detox or a healthy detox......Bon Apetit!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.